Deworming pigs is important for the following reasons:
- Promotes overall good health
- Increases feed efficiency
- Increases growth rate
- Helps eliminate liver condemnation at processing
Worm larvae can live in dirt and grass as well as on solid concrete floor or any type of floor that doesn’t drain the contaminated feces.
Following is a recommended deworming schedule:
- Treat new arrivals within 2-3 weeks
- Treat growing pigs at 8 weeks of age & then every 6-8 weeks
- Treat sows & gilts 7-14 days before farrowing. Treat gilts 7-14 days
Before going to the boar.
- Treat mature sows & boars 2 times per year.
The following fenbendazole dewormer is now available at Burns Feed Store. It is a pelleted ration that can easily replace your pig’s normal feed as directed based on animal body weight.feedlabel