Fact or Fiction? Chocolate is poisonous to dogs…..

Fact or fiction? Chocolate is poisonous to dogs……

Just like some humans, dogs do have a sweet tooth and are not at all ashamed to indulge in that open bag of Halloween candy that is left unattended. The sneaky dog might even be clever enough to find the hidden bags that are being saved for Halloween night. Depending on the size of your dog and how much chocolate is consumed, your canine companion could suffer dangerous effects that can sometimes become lethal. Though there are certain chocolates that are less harmful than others, it is a good idea to keep an eye out for symptoms that may manifest within six to twelve hours of ingestion. Common signs to watch for are vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, or elevated heart rate.

The easiest way to keep your canine companions safe is to always keep chocolate out of reach. Obviously this time of the year Halloween candy is the biggest enticer, but don’t forget about baking ingredients such as cocoa powder and any kind of yummy chocolate desserts.

From all of us at Burns Feed Store, we would like to wish you a Safe and Happy Halloween!