Keep your Traeger in tip top shape by regular cleaning. Spring is a great time to do a good cleaning and maintenance check. Check out these tips below to help you keep your grill running and functioning at the highest level possible!
1. Invest in a Traeger Cover. If a Traeger is stored outside during wet weather, water can get into the Pellet Hopper. When pellets get wet, they expand and can clog the auger. Additionally, a Traeger cannot cook with wet wood. If you do not have a cover, take extra care to keep the pellet hopper covered and away from any water.
2. Clean your Grease Drain Pan. Changing the aluminum foil on the grease pan often is a great first step, but to get the most out of your Traeger you must clean underneath the foil as well. Use a metal spatula to scrape the extra grease and debris from the grease pan and the grease drain tube. Grease is easiest to clean when it is slightly warm. If the grease drain tube becomes plugged or blocked, a grease fire can result. Clean those areas periodically to prevent build-up.
3. Empty your Grease Bucket. This job is not pretty, but it is pretty easy. Empty your grease into something you can discard, such as a plastic cup. Do not pour grease down the sink drain or into the gutter. Be sure to let the grease cool thoroughly before discarding it. Rinse your bucket with hot, soapy water to remove any remaining grease. To make future clean up easier, line your grease bucket with aluminum foil.
4. Wipe Down your Grill Exterior. To keep that powder coating looking like new, use warm soapy water to cut through any grease. Do not use oven cleaners, abrasive cleaners, or scouring pads on the outside of your grill.
5. Remove extra ash from the Firepot. Periodically remove the Porcelain Grill Grate, Grease Drain Pan, and Heat Baffle to clean the ash in and around the Firepot. This step can be fast and easy by using a standard shop vac. Make sure all grill components are cold before vacuuming up the extra ash. We recommend cleaning your Traeger once for every 5 times you use it. These tips will help keep your Traeger running beautifully for years to come!
Stop in Burns Feed Store for all your Traeger grill necessities, from covers to cleaners.