TURF CARE TIPS FOR SUMMER
Summer has arrived and with it comes a lot of sunny, warm weather. Grass is a sun-loving plant, but needs some help to stay thick, green, and healthy through the summer months. Follow these turf care tips, and your lawn will be healthy and happy throughout the summer.
- Set your mower height to 3 inches. A taller lawn looks greener, conserves water better than a shorter lawn, and will tolerate more summer heat. The grass will be more resilient.
- Remove no more than 1/3 of the grass’ leaf blade during each mowing. Taking off more of the leaf than this stresses the grass, and can cause the lawn to “brown out”.
- Fertilize the lawn with organic, or slow-release nitrogen fertilizer only, during summer months. Apply these nutrients lightly at this time of year for best results.
- Lawns need about 1 inch of water, total, each week, to grow and stay green. Use a small flat can or pan to measure how much is applied at each watering. Ideally, the lawn should get about 1/3” of water from each application.
- Water the lawn infrequently (about 3 times per week) for longer periods of time. This will allow the water to soak in more deeply. In turn, this encourages the lawns roots to grow deeper and “reach” for the moisture.
- Finally, be consistent with your lawn care practices. Mow, water, and fertilize the lawn on a regular basis
Follow these easy turf care tips and your lawn will be well on its way to staying healthy and looking great all summer long!